Thursday, October 13, 2011

YAY for Literacy

Last night in my TELL 430 class we had the wonderful Dr. Jacobs come in and share his love for literacy.

It was while I was sitting there listening to this cute old man talk about literacy and education that I got the idea for this blog.

So in an effort to remember what he shared with us, I wanted to remember some great books that he showed us.

Drumroll, please....

Great books for U.S. and World History Classes:
We Were There Too
We Were There, Too! Young People in U.S. History
by Phillip Hoose

Hoose wrote this book to show young people that there are stories about people their age in history too!

This would be a great way to get students to connect with people like them.

I could read a story any time we had free time/left over time in class.

how they croaked
How They Croaked: The Awful Ends of the Awfully Famous
by Georgia Bragg

Short Stories of how people like Napoleon Dynamite, Henry VII and others died.

A fun way to mix up history and make these historical people "come to life." haha. bad joke.

Where-Do-You-Think-You-re-Going-Christopher-Columbus-Fritz-Jean-9780399207235
Where Do You Think You're Going Christopher Columbus?
by Jean Fritz

I didn't spend as much time looking over this book BUT...

As far as I understand it, this book is a simplified telling of historical figures with some illustrations. From the pages I glanced at it seemed like interesting writing for kids.

The great thing?

It's a whole series!
They have other books about Paul Revere, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, King George and others!

Even a book called Shh! We're Writing the Constitution

These books are for grades 2-5 or ages 9-12 but I think my middle and high schoolers could still get a kick out of them.

AND because life doesn't have to be all serious...

Here are some books just for fun:

122849951xSls-K8nL
Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat
by Alvin Schwartz

A fun book with topics like "How will you know who you're going to marry?"

Answer: Take your shoe lace off, get it wet, roll it into a ball and throw it on the ceiling. Whatever shape the shoe lace makes is the first letter of your future husband's name.

There are tons like that that will get kids smiling and even trying it themselves!

Also
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
by Alvin Schwartz

I did not get to look at this book but I think it is the same fun, clever idea as Alvin Schwartz other book.

And other:
Mirror Mirror_Riding Hood
Mirror, Mirror
by Marilyn Singer

This book is incredible!

Definitely a children's picture book but because it is so clever everyone loves it.

The picture I posted is just a page from the book. Read it!

Needless to say, I learned a LOT about incorporating books into my classroom.

Next I will share lessons learned from Dr. Jacobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment