Friday, January 6, 2012

Student Teaching and Collaborating

Man, did anyone ever know that being a teacher is SO crazy?

This past week as I started my student teaching, I have been exposed to how all consuming teaching can become.  People have been preparing me about the hours of planning and the lack of sleep that comes with student teaching, so I don't feel TOO shocked by all of that.  I actually think that the most shocking thing to me is how EXCITED I really am to teach, to have my own class.

I'm loving it!

Loving it so much that I need to tell my brain to turn off when I go to sleep at night or else I will keep brainstorming new ideas.

Granted, I am just in the planning and observing part of my student teaching right now and all of this uber enthusiasm may change when I really get to the reality of having to have a lesson planned, prepped and ready to go every day.  Hopefully, I can maintain the enthusiasm though when the droopy eyes, road blocked mind and tired voice come.

We started attending the high school yesterday, January 5th, but don't start officially teaching until January 17th.  Because my mentor teacher teaches semester long classes, he is allowing us to start out the new semester on January 17th with the class being entirely ours.  That means that on January 17th I will stand in front of my very own 9th grade Honors Geography class and pretend to know what I am doing.  I will hand out my syllabus, introduce myself with pictures of me traveling to foreign places, and proceed to give my students an introduction to what geography is really all about.  Do I know what geography is really all about?  No.  In fact, I feel like I know very little about anything.  But will I learn it?  Yes.  Will I study the textbook, search the Internet and pick other teachers' brains like no other brother?  Absolutely.  This is going to be fun.

In my effort to prep, I have come across some good resources that might save me as I student teach and teach in the future.


(I'm not teaching AP World, but this would be a great for the future AND a good reference for designing my own blog)




and...

hopefully my very own new blog will help me and future Geography teachers:


So here's to collaboration and surviving my future teaching career!

No comments:

Post a Comment