Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cultural Diffusion

In my first geography unit of my student teaching, we are discussing culture and cultural diffusion.  Here are some ideas that I got from my mentor teaching and that I come up with on my own.

Question: How or why do things (ideas, movies, music, religions, etc.)  move from place to place?

They move because of:

-Trade
-War 
-Migration
-Everyone just wants to be cool and hip

Could address cultural diffusion by focusing on a theme like music (Mr. Stevenson's idea)

So, for example:

-Trade: (Seattle Sound)
-War: (article on how American Soldiers in Iraq left of legacy of Rap)
-Migration: (Anny foreign singer, missionary)
-Everyone wants to be cool and hip (Koreans)


Other examples of Cultural Diffusion besides music:
Religious Conversion (Missionaries): Holidays/Work Week
Technological Necessity: Internet
Trade: Politcal Systems
War or Conquest: Language, food (baguettes are popular in Vietnam because of French colonialism)
Migration: Restaurants (People from Thailand move to Provo and open Thai Restaurants, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment